Watch Your Body Language Over The Phone!
Your effective personal brand is in large part about how you communicate who you are to your target market and clientele. Given that 78% of all communication is non-verbal AND given that we spend so many hours on the phone selling and working, having effective body language and posture over the phone is just as critical as having effective body language during an in-person meeting.
When we are going out to see clients or prospects or to a networking event, we spend time and effort (hopefully!) on our visual appearance. We take time to (hopefully!) give ourselves a pep talk and get ready to be “charming”. However, people notice and pay attention to your phone voice and tone, too. So why shouldn’t you spend time getting ready to make phone calls, too?
Your posture and how you feel about yourself as you make or take a phone call speak volumes to the other party on the call with you. I’ve run many experiments to test this theory. We’ve had people answer the phone in a less-than pleasant mood, while slumped over in their chair wearing pajamas. The party on the other end of the call often times remarked concern and asked, “Is everything ok? You sound not well.” Is this how you want to be remembered on the phone?
- Dress the part- while you don’t have to wear a suit to make a phone call, ask yourself if you’d be happy to be on a visual call while you are on the phone. If the answer is “no”, then your phone voice and tone will resonate that same lack of self- confidence to the other party over the phone.
- Smile as you talk. Your smile will transfer non-visually into an effective personal brand for you over the phone.
- Sit up straight in your chair as you talk on the phone.
- Give your full attention to the party on the other line. Shut down your email and do one thing at a time so you can do it well.
- Uncross your legs so you are grounded and feel stable as you speak.
- Listen and pause- don’t do all the talking.